Blogging Your Journey (Module 4)

Now that you are halfway through the course, think about how the unit you are developing is answering the course's Essential Question:

How can technology be used most effectively to support and assess student learning?

For Module 4, reflect on the focus of this Module. 

• How can the creation of a student sample help you clarify unit expectations and improve your instructional design?
  • How can you ensure students will achieve the learning objectives when creating their student projects?
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:06 PM

Technology can help clarify the unit by giving more info on the content. The assessment tools that you can create using technology also help gauge the understanding happening in the classroom. I can ensure that the objectives are being met by using different types of assessment while the unit is being constructed.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:08 PM

Module 4 Reflection
I strongly believe that technology is most effective supporting student learning when it is "transparent". By that I mean that it is not just an exercise, but an essential element necessary to complete a task that the students are engaged in. The primary element for a good unit is a topic that engages the students. Technology is then one path of many to explore and learn about that topic.
When assessing student learning, technology is the 21st century medium for communication. Students must generate products in this medium, and as teachers we must evolve to evaluate their products in an honest way and learn to guage understanding through this medium. We are faced with the same challenges as before, simply in a newer format.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:08 PM

Technology can be used in many ways to support and assess student learning. The most obvious is the use of the internet. Students can use the internet to research and gain new knowledge. This module has introduced to me the concept of using blogs and wikis as a tool in my classroom. I think that students will be very responsive to this type of learning.
The student sample I created can help me to understand more clearly my expectations from my students. It also gave me a chance to go through my unit in a student’s role. This helped me to simplify some of the things that may have caused my students problems.
I can ensure that my students achieve the learning objectives by administering assessments that act as benchmarks. These assessments can be given frequently to check for understanding.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:09 PM

Technology can be used effectively to support and assess student learning in many ways. Communication, Collaboration, Research, Documentation, Assessment, and Evaluation are all enhanced tremendously when effectively and appropriately utilizing technology tools and resources.
Module 4 focuses on Student Learning Samples and all the detail to consider when planning and designing the checklist, rubric, and sample. The process forces us to closely analyze our questions, available resources, and to check to make sure we are incorporating the best tools possible.
I value the alternating convergent and divergent activities that allow us to explore and look outward at new possibilities and resources and then to come back to our unit plan to revise and re-evaluate our choices. It's an on-going, see-sawing motion that keeps our end product in check and balanced by helping us clarify expectations, improve instructional design, and ensure that the objectives can be achieved when the students work on this project.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:09 PM

Technology can be used effectively to support student learning by giving the students a look into earthquakes. Since we don't live in an area where we get much earthquake damage, it is good that students can get online and find pictures, video clips, and email professionals and/or other students who live in a world affected by earthquakes.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:10 PM

Technology is used most effectively when students are learning THROUGH technology, just as they use their pens, paper, and books to learn. The tech tools should fit the learning. If I want my students to collaborate on something to publish to a wide audience beyond the school, typing a Word document would probably not be the best choice. Having several students collaborate on producing a wiki page would be a better fit. If I want students to give and receive feedback in an authentic, real world way, having them read each other's typed paper is probably not as good a choice as having them post their writing to a blog and then setting up time and accountabiiity for students to read and comment on others' blogs.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:10 PM

I see technology as a great way to engage students in the learning process. By having them research the topic, they gain a better understanding of the concepts and perhaps take their knowledge farther than expected. In assessing student learning, what better way than to have the student put what they learned into words and pictures. Many of us find that we learn better when we have to write an explanation of a topic rather than just use the information to answer specific questions.
When I create a student sample, I find "glitches" in my thinking/expectations of my students. I find that perhaps my expectations are unrealistic or maybe just need "tweeking". By observing and working with students during the creation process of the project, I can see if they understand the concept(s).
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:10 PM

Well, first we must be very comfortable using technology ourselves before we can go to the higher level of using it to support and assess learning.
Technology is an excellent tool to help keep students on task.
Through technology differentiated instruction can be accomplished more easily since individual direction can be set in motion automatically and it allows the teacher to be everywhere at once.
Tests can be graded and data disaggregated instantly to find out what areas or topics need to be “retaught”.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:10 PM

Technology allows the learner to be assessed at a much greater degree. It gives the learner a sense of ownership and in turn produces a much greater end product for the teacher to assess.
The creation of a student sample helps me see it from a student's perspective and whether I need to make it more or less challenging. It allows me to realize the unseen in producing an end project and what instructions may need to be covered prior to beginning the project.
I will need to make sure to give the students a rubric to use as a guideline as they work their way through the project so they can do self-assessment along with the teacher assessment.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:10 PM

I think that the first step in using technology in the classroom is in realizing that technology needs to be used as a support/reinforcement and not as the teacher. Nothing can replace a good quality teacher in the classroom. A good teacher will use technology to build the learning of the students. This module has helped me to understand that there are so many ways in which technology can be used effectively and efficiently in the classroom. Using the project-based instructional method gives teachers the opportunities to use technology as another resource to for our students.
In creating the student sample I realized that you need to have a clear understanding of what is expect from the students. You can't just create an assignment or activity just for the sake of doing something. You have to be able to tie it all into the overall essential question of the unit that you are teaching. You have to be sure that you have given the students enough knowledge to able to complete an assignment. As a teacher, I think it is important for me to complete the assignment first to be sure that what I am asking the students to complete is reasonable and understandable.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:10 PM

Student learning is most effectively enhanced when the student has to use technology in perhaps a new way to find resources. Technology should lead them to explore new ways to answer age old questions.
As I created the student sample, I became more aware of "roadblocks" the students might encounter. I then revised my unit plan to better accomodate what I want to achieve.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:12 PM

The technology will allow students to get their product/message out to the public easier. The internet will serve as a tool to help develop a better concept of the lesson and the sharing of students comments will help each other. As far as assessment it allows me to creative and not traditional.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:13 PM

Essential Question: Technology helps all students in the LIGHT generation. It permits hands-on activities, paced to the individual, with limits only given by the student as to his/her learning. If the student wants to learn more - there is little to stop him/her from becoming an expert in the individual's passion.
The student sample creation helps me to see the "bumps" in the road. It allows me to plan for problems and see where the "holes" are in the teaching process.
I can ensure that students achieve the learning objectives through the assessment of the individual student's personal journal and through TAKS formatted, curriculum based assessments, class discussions and student evaluation of the unit.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:13 PM

Technology provide numerous tools for supporting student learning; accessing information; images and different forums for research. The use of a Wiki and blog provides a good avenue for getting feedback and monitoring student progress.
Creating a student sample allows one to expierence the positives and negatives that your students will have when creating their projects and allow for working throught those foreseeable problems.
Choosing the objectives carefully is most important for students to achieve while working on projects.
Great use of collaborative tools both for teachers and students.
on  June 27, 2007  at  3:15 PM

on  June 27, 2007  at  6:36 PM

Module 5 was good. Tohe rubric I made is pretty good. Running out of time! Ahhh!
Registered users

Member-list